Monday morning blues in Mumbai were multiplied manifold with an auto rickshaw strike today. While we have seen many of these strikes recently, what’s encouraging is to see how smart Mumbaikars are coming up with economical, ecofriendly and sustainable solutions to such situations in the city.
SmartMumbaikar is a free Mumbai based vehicle pooling Facebook App that is expected to launch on 20th April 2012. The app will enable users to identify who among their friends or contacts are around their location and can accompany then on their daily commute and share car, cabs or rickshaws. Today the #AutoStrike on Twitter was a reason why the team enabled it online to let people know more about it.
SmartMumbaikar is an initiative by the same team that started Mobile 4 Mumbai, a mobile based service that helps users with details on bus travel, BEST routes, bus stops in Mumbai and much more. The Smart Mumbaikar Facebook App also has a feature for women commuters to select options like “Travel with at least one female companion” or “Travel with all female companions” or “No Preference” etc.
MumbaiMag spoke to Raxit Sheth, who started the website along with friends Pankaj Singh and Parth Lalcheta. “It’s about time Mumbaikars start working with each other to make daily life better and also help the city in the long run. Something as social and easy to use as an app will surely come in handy for everyone who has a cell phone” says Raxit about the service.
We are looking forward to this app for many reasons – one, avoid crowded public transport or the long wait for rickshaws and taxis, secondly save money by sharing the fare and most importantly, do your good bit for the environment.We will let you know more about the app as soon as it launches. Share your reviews if you try it too.
Heard of an interesting story about Mumbai you want us to uncover, email us – email@example.com
more on MumbaiMag...
Trending on MumbaiMag
- Injured Bijlee Needs Your Help Mumbai!
- Fashion Forward: Ten Great Fashion Websites For Trendy, Affordable Shopping
- Food Bytes: Mumbai’s Four Best Kept Kebab Secrets
- #MumbaiList: Concocting A Regional Storm In A Thali
- Bagel All The Way: The Hole Story About Mumbai’s Tryst With An American Snack
- Trend Spotting: Shoes That Speak Volumes!
- Living Their Dreams: A Unique Art Exhibition By Students Of Society For The Education Of The Crippled (SEC)
- Food Bytes: How About A Bite of Sanju Baba, Deepak Chopra Or Bobby Deol Tonight?
- Food Bytes: Green Onion and Puku’s, Nigerian Food Eateries In Mumbai
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.