Raise your hand if you have a bad addiction. OK, hands down everyone. That’s right, we are all guilty! So why label indulgence a sin? Why not celebrate it? Like Bad Addictions, a quaint little bakery run by sisters and partners, Archana and Aparna Gupta.
Like every good business that gains respect with the customers over time, the last 12 years have seen Bad Addictions evolve as of the popular names when it comes to quirky, customizable cakes and desserts. Archana believes that “the best customers are the satisfied ones”. And the desserts tell the tale. For one 40th birthday party return gift, the girls actually packed condoms with chocolate dipped strawberries and these were handed as return gifts to those who attended the party.
What started in 2000 as an independent home baking enterprise by Archana who “didn’t want to pursue the rat race”, Bad Addictions has evolved into a small yet strong bakery of six today. Archana went to America to pursue a pastry and culinary course at the Culiniary Institute of America. Later she trained at the Gaylord bakery, Mumbai and at the Hilton Hotel Patisserie, Mumbai. These she believes lay the founding stone of her mission to create a fresh new brand that provides exclusive and personalized desserts, cakes and pastries for special occasions.
All the team members at Bad Addictions get professional training before they start on the job and the sisters overlook every aspect of the baking business. Archana explains, “We look into purchases, production and deliveries. We ensure that every product that leaves the kitchen has received our satisfactory approval.” Working in a 425 sq. ft. kitchen and dealing with the brutal Mumbai weather are some of the bakeries toughest challenges right now. But Archana adds, “my tough international exposure and training at the Hilton, along with my passion for baking will make this work. And yes, having a supportive family made things a cake walk”.
Whether it’s the popular chocolate mousse, the caramelized walnut/almond tarts or the chocolate strawberry cheesecake with meringue, each one has a unique touch. How does Bad Addictions manage a personalized presentation and unique themes? Archana states, “My Dad advised me to never compromise on quality, and that’s the rule we stick by. Besides the basic raw materials, we do everything in our kitchen. This helps to give us complete control over the flavour and hygiene.”
Not just the desserts, I’ve noticed an eye for detail when it comes to Bad Addictions packaging and gifts as well. Those small things that make just another cake purchase a true addiction! You can order Bad Addiction cakes on the phone (9821050468/9821044533), through email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and through the Bad Addictions Facebook page. And if you do decide to indulge, tell how you liked the desserts!
Want to review a bakery or restaurant in Mumbai? Write to us at email@example.com. We would love to hear from you!
more on MumbaiMag...
Trending on MumbaiMag
- Snap Shots: Mumbai’s Up And Coming Candid Wedding Photographers
- Koonik: Making The Planet A Happier Place, One Baby At A Time
- Ink Your Imagination At Mumbai’s Ingenious Tattoo Studios
- Mumbai’s Secrets: We Bet You Didn’t Know Of These Hidden Treasures In The City
- Katy’s Kitchen: Authentic Parsi Food Is Just A Phone Call Away
- Trend Spotting: Shoes That Speak Volumes!
- Trend Spotting: Sing Along at Karaoke Nights Throughout The Week
- Restaurant ‘May’hem! Getting You Up To Speed With Eatery Openings And Closings This Month in #Mumbai... Read bit.ly/11dwRUR 13 hours ago
- This World Environment Day, Go Green With NGOs Working Towards Environment Safety In Mumbai bit.ly/10CHOxj 18 hours ago
- Did you check out post on celebrity inspired food here bit.ly/164ERdG 19 hours ago