What do cutting chai and Italian cuisine have in common? The answer, Mia Cucina. That’s right. The popular Italian chain has opened their latest restaurant in Powai and is holding an exhibition of Dilip Moorkoth’s beautiful photographs capturing the city’s romance with the brew. Titled ‘Cutting Chai – The Magical Concoction Of Mumbai’ the exhibition showcases some thoughtful and aesthetic shots of the chai ka glass in all kinds of gallis, khopchas and roads of aamchi Mumbai. The restaurant opens its door to Mumbai on 2nd July and the exhibition is on till 23rd of July.
While the coffee culture has taken the city by storm, Mumbai still loves it chai; whether it’s the cutting available in the by lanes and college canteens or the delicate teas served at hip hotel restaurants. What you will find in Dilip’s photographs though will be moments captured on the streets… When you stop for a few moments to take in the city as you sip on the warmth of a kadak cutting on a rainy day or the day when the strong ginger flavour of the chai calmed your nerves before an interview.
I have so many of those, including the one where I found my childhood friend from another city at the Tea Centre after 15 years (there was no Facebook or Twitter then folks, so find a friend was really a big deal!)
I confess, to me chai is still cool and cutting rules. I confess, I’m an addict and I wouldn’t refuse a cup if you woke me up from sleep in the middle of the night. I’d actually like that. How about you? Yes? Then grab a cutting and share with me your fondest chai memory, I would love to know. Seriously. And if you have a picture, that would just be brilliant.
more on MumbaiMag...
Trending on MumbaiMag
- Snap Shots: Mumbai’s Up And Coming Candid Wedding Photographers
- Koonik: Making The Planet A Happier Place, One Baby At A Time
- Ink Your Imagination At Mumbai’s Ingenious Tattoo Studios
- Mumbai’s Secrets: We Bet You Didn’t Know Of These Hidden Treasures In The City
- Mumbai’s Eggcellent: The Best Egg Dishes In The City
- Katy’s Kitchen: Authentic Parsi Food Is Just A Phone Call Away
- Event: Books On Toast, A Book Donation Drive And Sale For Charity
- @jayuyuyuyu it's true... We were told by an elderly Postman himself... Our post has more info. 1 hour ago
- anyone? “@HangryWoman: Looking for food bloggers in #Pune. Know any good ones? @MumbaiMag” #food #blogger #Pune 2 hours ago
- #chai lovers #help #Mumbai “@mignonned: @MumbaiMag where can I get Darjeeling first/second flush tea without breaking the bank in Bombay?” 2 hours ago