One of Mumbai’s favourite guests is about to arrive soon. Who else but the beloved Ganapati! And amidst all the festivities and frenzied celebrations, the city will generate a large amount of holy waste (Nirmalya). According to United Way Mumbai Helpline, nearly 3 lakh Ganesh idols will be brought home and subsequently to the lakes and beaches in the city this September. One can only imagine the intensity and expanse of it’s effect on marine life. While the festival itself is full of fun and joy, it leaves behind a trail of tragedy affecting all of us. It’s about time, that we seriously take up individual yet effective measures so that each of us can help in making this Ganesh Festival environment friendly. Following up on our Green Ganesh post by Salonee, here is more information on how you can Go Green with Ganesh this season. Also find contact information of shops that sell eco-friendly clay idols and bio degradable decoration material.
Simple Ideas To Make Ganesh Festival Environment Friendly:
- Collect offerings of flowers & other organic material in a compost pit.
- Opt for Ganesh idols made of ‘Shaadu’ ,natural clay or paper pulp.
- Use bio degradable decorations such as paper mache, paper, wood etc.
- Ensure the idols are painted with natural colors‐ Turmeric, ‘Multani Mitti’, etc.
- Immerse idols in artificial tanks created by MCGM & housing societies
Eco‐friendly Ganesh Idols & Decoration Material Suppliers in Mumbai:
The Bombay Store: Clay Idols, Decoration Material
Western India House, Sir P.M.Road, Fort,Mumbai
Dhoop Crafts: Clay Ganesh Idols Clay idols, handmade and often recyclable products for decoration
Office : Tridev Building, Plot No. 27 A, 21st Road, Dandpada, Khar (West), Mumbai
Shop No.101, Sheetal Apartment, Union Park, Dr. Ambedkar Road, Khar (West), Mumbai
Surya Arts: Clay Idols
Vishal Ganesh Chitrashala, Sarvoday Nagar, Near Aarey Check Naka, Western Express Highway, Goregaon (East), Mumbai
White Flowers: Clay Idols
Shop No. 1, Ekdanta Apartment , S.K. Bole Road, Agar Bazar, Mumbai
Saptak: Clay Idols
Dr.Joshi Wada, Near Balak Mandir School, Kalyan (West), Mumbai (Also available at Thane, Sion, Dombivali)
Heranbha Arts: Shadu Ganesh Idols & Decoration Material
Ram Maruti Road, Near Shivprasad Hotel, Thane
UTSAVI Ecofreindly Decoration
Prabhakutir, Ganesh Galli, Lalbaug, Mumbai
Heena Choksi, Individual Supplier Clay Idols , Ecofreindly Decorations,
Kandivali, C Wing, Flat No.502, Bldg, RNA Millennium Township, M.G Road, Kandivali (West), Mumbai
MAATI crafts Clay Idols
109, 1st Floor, Powai Plaza, Opp Pizza Hut, A.S. Marg, Hiranandani Gardens, Powai, Mumbai
Naman Creations Marble Idols
LG‐53, Moksh Plaza, S. V. Road, Borivali (West), Mumbai
Jai Hanuman Group Sanstha Clay Idols
Din Bandhu Nagar, Room No. 46, Yasti Road, Near Sharda Mata Mandir , Wadala‐East Mumbai
Aniruddha Upasana Trust Clay Idols
Aniruddha Upasana Trust (main office), 503,link Apts, Khari village, Khar, Mumbai
Green Ways Clay Idols
Nikhil villa, 19 Carmichael Road, Mumbai
Shop: 022‐23520684/022‐ 23526291
Mother Earth Clay Idols
Shop No. 44, 2nd Floor, R‐City Mall, LBS Marg, Ghatkopar (West), Mumbai
Shop: 022 ‐67701295
Paryavaran Dakahata Munch Clay Idols
New English school, Ram Maruti road, Thane
Omved (Ghatkopar) Clay Idols
Ghatkoper City Mall, Shop no. S‐33/A, 2nd Floor, L.B.S. Marg,Ghatkopar (West), Mumbai
Omved (Lower Parel) Clay Idols
Phoenix Mills Compound, Unit No.12, Block No.43, Grand Galleria, Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai
Shop: 022‐400 48218
Shree Ganesh Kala Kendra Clay Idols
Manibhavan Building Near Maratha Mandir Hall, Mahatma Phule Road, Dombivali West, Thane
Milind Kavitkar Clay Idols
Near Aswad Hotel, Shivaji Park, Dadar (West), Mumbai
Sharmila Bangar Clay Idols
Naigaon, Dadar (East), Mumbai
Veena Wataney Clay Idols
B‐17 / 701, Siddhachal Phase 3 C.H.Society, Near Vasant Vihar High School, Thane (West)
Shree Ganesh Kala Kendra Clay Idols
Plot no. 16, Sanatan Sankul, Devad‐vichumbe, Navin Panvel, Navi Mumbai
If you need help with Nirmalya disposal or want to organize an awareness drive in your area, United Way Mumbai can help you in the following:
- Nirmalya (holy waste) collection drives at immersion sites
- Converting nirmalya into organic manure
- Education & sensitization of citizens through awareness drives ( street play, poster exhibition, one to one interaction etc.)
- Awareness drives at Ganesh Mandals, residential societies & immersion sites.
- Providing Ganesh Mandals facilities for maintaining cleanliness & segregation of nirmalya.
The above list has been sourced from United Way Mumbai, an initiative making efforts at addressing a host of environmental issues that plague the city of Mumbai. You can reach them at 022‐24937676/ Anil‐ 9892027474/ Ashwini‐ 9820994157 or email them at email@example.com.
more on MumbaiMag...
Trending on MumbaiMag
- Snap Shots: Mumbai’s Up And Coming Candid Wedding Photographers
- Koonik: Making The Planet A Happier Place, One Baby At A Time
- Ink Your Imagination At Mumbai’s Ingenious Tattoo Studios
- Mumbai’s Secrets: We Bet You Didn’t Know Of These Hidden Treasures In The City
- Katy’s Kitchen: Authentic Parsi Food Is Just A Phone Call Away
- Trend Spotting: Shoes That Speak Volumes!
- Trend Spotting: Sing Along at Karaoke Nights Throughout The Week
- This #Weekend, Explore #StreetArt Installations Adorning #Mumbai’s Public Spaces bit.ly/12x8hLB 30 minutes ago
- Looking to try something different this weekend? Idli Dosa Makeovers: Yummy South Indian Staples Served With A Twist bit.ly/128Jj4J 1 hour ago
- The Rise And Fall Of The ‘Daakiya’ And The Bygone Days Of Post Boxes! bit.ly/10Sy1iw via 19 hours ago