Before I start let me tell you that I’m not going talk about the obvious touristy things that you can do in Mumbai because everyone publishes lists like that and frankly, most of those suggestions are overrated. If you’re willing to experiment, here are 10 things that you should do in Mumbai. What’s more, these activities will ensure that you continue having a healthy relationship with your wallet as most of these activities are under Rps 200 each.
1. Bet money on a race horse at the Royal Western Turf Club – You don’t have to worry about betting millions because the bets start from as low as Rs 10.
2. Visit a Bollywood film set – Come on, it’s almost impossible to separate Mumbai and Bollywood and if you’re lucky, you might even get to work as an extra in a movie. That’s your 15 seconds of fame right there.
3. Watch DDLJ in Maratha Mandir – Circa 1995: A movie starring the nation’s heartthrob and his on-screen muse was released. Circa 2012: One lone theatre in the city still reminisces the on-screen romance and schedules daily shows of the movie. Trust me; you wouldn’t want to miss this.
4. Spend a day in Sanjay Gandhi National Park – This is probably the only ‘green’ area in the city and the only place where you might spot some wildlife (if you’re lucky).
5. Visit the Magna Book Gallery in Fort – Tucked away in a tiny lane, this is my favourite book spot in the city. There’s an organic restaurant attached to it so you can sip on organic coolers while skimming though the books (like a hipster!).
6. Schedule an early morning visit to the Dadar flower market – Yes, everyone hates Dadar because it’s crowded and yucky but trust me, an early morning visit to the Dadar flower market is a photographers delight.
7. Shop at Mangaldas Market – Everyone knows about Linking Road and Fashion Street but Mangaldas Market is the place to go when you want to buy some traditional garb.
8. Walk into a handicrafts exhibition in BKC – One of then nicer things about BKC are the handicrafts exhibitions that are held there throughout the year. These exhibitions are usually region specific so you’ll find a variety of items in a similar style.
9. Visit Nipponjin Bochi, the city’s lone Japanese Graveyard – This one speaks for itself. There’s a Japanese temple just around the corner which is really peaceful.
10. Take part in the Mumbai Marathon – This is the ultimate homage to Mumbai if you ask me. *Starts training for the Marathon*
My score is 7/10. What’s yours?
more on MumbaiMag...
Trending on MumbaiMag
- Fashion Forward: Ten Great Websites For Trendy, Affordable Shopping
- Injured Bijlee Needs Your Help Mumbai!
- Food Bytes: Mumbai’s Four Best Kept Kebab Secrets
- #MumbaiList: Concocting A Regional Storm In A Thali
- Bagel All The Way: The Hole Story About Mumbai’s Tryst With An American Snack
- Trend Spotting: Shoes That Speak Volumes!
- Living Their Dreams: A Unique Art Exhibition By Students Of Society For The Education Of The Crippled (SEC)
- Food Bytes: How About A Bite of Sanju Baba, Deepak Chopra Or Bobby Deol Tonight?
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.